Crowninshield recipient Donovan Rypkema speaks at an event.
This post was cross-posted from the Preservation Leadership Forum blog.
At the majestic Martin Woldson Theater at The Fox in Spokane during the 2012 National Preservation Conference, conference attendees were on their feet, enthusiastically applauding this year's Crowninshield Award recipient, a man who has worked for more than 30 years to forge links between historic preservation, real estate, and economics.
Donovan D. Rypkema, principal of PlaceEconomics, a Washington, DC-based real estate and economic development consulting firm, has lectured and written extensively on the economic benefits of historic preservation. The National Trust is proud to honor him for his impressive record in changing the way we think about the benefits of preserving older buildings.
Rypkema continues to inspire, educate, and motivate preservationists to say no to the preservation naysayers and to make a clear and compelling case for rehabilitating older buildings.
Other awardees at the 2012 Richard H. Driehaus National Preservation Awards ceremony included developers, advocates, volunteers, funders, educators, and architects who were honored for wide range of exceptional preservation projects that will delight and inspire you. To learn more about 2012 Richard H. Driehaus National Preservation Awards, visit www.preservationnation.org/awards.
- American Express Aspire Award--Recognizing Emerging Leaders in Preservation: M. Rosalind Sagara (Riverside, CA)
- National Trust/Advisory Council on Historic Preservation Award for Federal Partnerships in Historic Preservation: Montgomery Greyhound Bus Station--Freedom Rides Museum (Montgomery, AL)
- Peter H. Brink Award for Individual Achievement in Historic Preservation: Enid Pinkney (Miami, FL)
- Trustee's Emeritus Award for Excellence in the Stewardship of Historic Sites: The Jane Addams Hull House Museum (Chicago, IL)
- Trustee's Award for Organizational Excellence: The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota (Saint Paul, MN)
- National Trust/HUD Secretary's Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation: Saint Luke's Manor (Cleveland, OH)
- John H. Chafee Trustees' Award for Outstanding Achievement in Public Policy: John Andrew Gallery (Philadelphia, PA)
2012 National Preservation Honor Awards
- Charles H. Shaw Technology and Learning Center (Chicago, IL)
- The Historic Park Inn Hotel (Mason City, IA)
- Leavenworth Building 19 (Leavenworth, KS)
- New Orleans U.S. Custom House (New Orleans, LA)
- Accident Fund National Headquarters/Ottawa Street Power Station (Lansing, MI)
- Todd Bolender Center for Dance and Creativity (Kansas City, MO)
- ASM International Headquarters (Materials Park, OH)
- Oswego Iron Furnace (Lake Oswego, OR)
- 30th Street Main Post Office (Philadelphia, PA)
- Market Square Place (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Gullah Museum of Hilton Head Island Preservation of Duey's Home (Hilton Head, SC)
- Main Building of Our Lady of the Lake University (San Antonio, TX)
- Washington State Heritage Barn Preservation Initiative (Statewide Washington)
- SIERR Building at McKinstry Station (Spokane, WA)