As part of a larger rehabilitation project, the lobby of the former San Antonio Central Library, built in 1930, has been restored. The lobby’s intricate cast plaster ceiling underwent an extensive rehabilitation, as did its brass doors, Art Deco light fixtures, and hand-carved walls.
The 38,000-square-foot structure is located along the city’s historic River Walk, and was designed in both the Art Deco and Neo-Classical styles. It operated as the city’s main library until 1968, when it then became the Hertzberg Circus Museum until shuttering in 2001.
The building was used predominately as storage until 2009, when the Briscoe Western Art Museum -- a repository for art and artifacts related to the American West -- acquired the building and started a $30 million restoration and expansion.
The museum, which will feature paintings, sculpture, photography, and art from American Indian, Spanish, Mexican cultures, is set to open next fall.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation works to save America's historic places. Join us today to help protect the places that matter to you.