64 Liberty Street - Newburyport, Massachusetts
Originally only four rooms with a center chimney and an asymmetrical facade, this home was expanded over time by its original chain of owners: a shipwright (1755), a distiller (1784), a druggist (1797), and a confectioner (1804).
A massive eight foot wide working fireplace with two bread ovens, brick hearth and raised panels are the main feature of the original kitchen, now the dining room. Don't worry, a high-end chefs kitchen (stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, the works) is right next door.
The second floor features two generous bedrooms, each with their own fireplace. A common bathroom is fitted out with radiant heat floors, an Italian limestone double vanity, and a marble-walled rain shower.
David Garber is the blog editor at the National Trust for Historic Preservation.