Ah, the joy of the Interwebz -- allowing us to connect across the miles and delve deeper into our shared love of preservation at the National Preservation Conference! Though we much prefer to have you see the Nickel City for yourself, we understand if you couldn't make it in person this year, and we still want you to be involved from your corner of the world.
This year we are featuring conference highlights on several channels:
- Right here on the PreservationNation blog. We have the great good fortune this year to have students from Columbia University's Historic Preservation program acting as our roving reporters for the conference. Watch the blog for timely posts and vlogs featuring their on-the-ground view.
- Twitter. National Trust staffers and our #builtheritage chat friends will be busy bees capturing the most salient session points in 140 characters on Twitter. Watch the hashtag #PresConf (or the official @PresConf account) for the latest news and notes. And if you tweet, by all means, join in!
- Facebook. Keep an eye on the PreservationNation Facebook page for announcements, photos, updates, and more.
- Flickr. A picture is worth a thousand blog posts, and believe me, Buffalo is one photogenic town. Check in periodically to our Conference Flickr group and see exactly what attendees are seeing as they traverse the city.
- Buffalo Unscripted. This summer, a team from the National Trust hit the streets of Buffalo to tell the real story of a city that everyone seems to have an opinion about – whether they live there or not. Now we're debuting footage from the project at an interactive public screening event during the conference. Learn more about the project and watch the videos on the project's Tumblr.
Of particular note: We're livecasting the plenaries and general sessions on Ustream! Here's the schedule:
- Opening Plenary (with keynote speaker James Howard Kunstler)
Wednesday, Oct. 19
4-6 pm EST
- General Session: Preservation in the Age of Sustainability
Thursday, Oct. 20
8-9:30 am EST
- General Session: Thinking about Shrinking
Friday, Oct. 21
8-9:30 am EST
- Closing Plenary (with keynote speaker Isabel Wilkerson)
Saturday, Oct. 22
10:30 am-12 pm EST
You can catch these livestreams -- as well as links and feeds for all the other sites I mentioned -- on the National Preservation Conference homepage. Thanks for joining us there!
Julia Rocchi is a member of the National Trust's Digital and New Media team. She's up to her eyeballs in pixels at the conference.